Re: [TenTec] ground wave

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ground wave
From: "Stuart Rohre" <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 12:05:20 -0600
With all due respect to Ron, there is plenty of new research, (and old
experience from WW2) that ground wave on HF above the low bands is alive and
well.  See my previous posting about communication in 30MHz range at 5 watts
ground wave with new FLEX antennas as well as typical Ham Stick and
verticals.  We have tested ground wave data links with Pactor 2 and similar
all the way down to 13 MHz, and simply are awaiting further research money
to build us a 40m FLEX antenna.   This is the Folded Conical Helical that
squeezes four quarter wave elements into a wound conical shape to conserve
volume and maintain efficiency from 60 to 91 per cent vs. size of cone
height and frequency.   For 160M this translates to a cone 8 feet high over
a ground plane on a patio.

73,
Stuart Rohre
K5KVH