[TenTec] Re: [Orion] Orion Synthesizer speed

To: <orion@contesting.com>, "James C. Garland" <4cx250b@muohio.edu>,<tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [Orion] Orion Synthesizer speed
From: "Jim Reid" <jimr.reid@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:43:29 -1000
Comment made:

> (4) The synthesizer seems to lock slowly, making rapid
> frequency excursions  sound jerky.  Most other modern rigs
> have fast enough synthesizers that the  tuning seems
> analog. Too bad the Orion can't do this as well.

I believe that this is "on purpose".  As I think I understand,
from prior posts on this issue,  in exchange for a slower
synthesizer,  we are given very much lower "close in"
phase noise which enhances very weak signal detection
(also,  very low transmitted phase noise as well).

This is a DX'ing trade off some appreciate;  not sure about
contesting as I don't do that.  Fast synthesizers are also
broader bandwidth,  thus more noise  into the signal
path.  Other functions perhaps "compromised" by this
design decision might be the encoder tuning rates and
step size combinations in the "default" design.

There is much more "under the hood" of this creature
that I am still learning/discovering even though I have
had my Orion since the middle of last May!

BTW,  downloaded Carl M's,  N4PY,  V1.07 Orion control
software this morning.  Now we can adjust AGC Threshold
as a "panel" adjustment anytime we wish!  It is now a "virtual"
front panel operator control without need to go into the AGC
menu.  And this can be done when using any of the slow,
med,  fast,  or prog. AGC selections.  Also,  the selected
threshold is "remembered" by band when QSY'ing.
Very neat added function by Carl.

73,  Jim  KH7M