Re: [TenTec] Quieting fan

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Quieting fan
From: Steve Weber <kd9bo@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:17:46 -0600
Dear fellow cult-of-the-cosmic-orange-dot members,

Would it be possible to surround the tube with a finned heat sink similar to those used on some transistors? What about ducting that discharges by the tubes or even surrounds the tubes? Having never seen the inside of this amp, I may be simply blowing hot air. (ouch)

KD9BO Steve

Hi Gary,

The original post was in regards to an amplifier which uses a pair (maybe 4) 572B triodes. These are glass envelope tubes. While it may be possible to precool the air using a chilled water system, there would still be a need for a fan to blow the air across the tube envelopes. Perhaps the air flow rate could be reduced and the fan could be quieter using cooler air.

There are water cooled tubes and conduction cooled tubes, which could reasonably incorporate a liquid heat transfer media. In the case of glass envelope tubes I really see no reasonable way that water cooling could be applied.

DE N6KB

Steve Weber

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

*******************************

Hey spammers - Harvesting email addresses? Don't overlook these guys!

FCC Chairman Michael K. Powell: mpowell@fcc.gov
FCC Commissioner Kathleen Q. Abernathy: kabernat@fcc.gov
FCC Commissioner Michael J. Copps: mcopps@fcc.gov
FCC Commissioner Kevin J. Martin: kjmweb@fcc.gov