Re: [TenTec] 6N2

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 6N2
From: Dave Sublette <k4to@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 14:56:52 -0500
for the record...I did intend this to go to all. I had a 6N2. I found the CW keying and SSB PTT arrangement very awkward, especially when using it as an IF rig for other transverters. I had many conversations with other users and they also found the arrangement very awkward. I talked to Ten Tec and they acknowledged that the arrangement was at least unique...if not awkward. I don't know if the keying circuit has ever been redesigned. I had to build a separate switch box to go from phone to CW. Fortunately, I was hit by lightning and the 6N2 totally destroyed. My insurance helped pay for another brand of rig. I doubt that I would ever use another 6N2 without the keying circuit being redesigned. The basic send and receive function of the radio was fine.

K4TO

W2BJ wrote:

I am considering buying the 6N2.  I am primarily a QRP CW operator.  I
occasionally check into 2 meter nets.  I have been wanting to get on 6
meters and thought that this rig might be a good combination for 6 meter
operations and nets on 2.  I would appreciate advice from any who have had
experience with the 6N2.  Thanks!
73,
Barry, W2BJ