RE: [TenTec] Amplifier Decision???

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Amplifier Decision???
From: "Rick Westerman" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 23:47:34 +0100
Hi John,

Let me share my experience with you, even though it does not
exactly match the configuration you describe.

I used an OMNI VI+ (similar in keying to the ORION) together with
an Ameritron AL80-A (similar in switching to the AL-811H) for
several years.  There is absolutely no problem to connect the
Ten-Tec transceivers with any of the Ameritron amps.  You do not
need the ALC connection.  Just ignore it.  I did have some
problem with hot switching the Ameritron, even though the Ten-Tec
transceivers add delay after keying the linear's relay and before
keyin the cw of the transceiver.   About once every 3 months, the
relay contacts on the Ameritron's T/R relay would become
"charcoaled".  I had to take a burnishing tool and clean the
contacts.  Then it worked OK again for another 3 months.  The
interval will depend on the amount of operation you do.

I finally solved the problem by adding an external keying box
which added an additional 10 ms of delay before keying the
transceiver's CW line.  My external box was home-brewed from a
circuit designed by DL7AV.  I assume there are similar
suggestions available in the states.

The better solution came when I replaced the Ameritron with an
amp from QRO Technologies.  It uses a vacuum relay and switches
much faster.  I run it directly connected to the Orion today, and
previously for many years, connected directly to the OMNI VI+.
No problems at all.

The answer is, the Ameritron's are built to lesser standards and
are not as good for fast switching as some of the better amps.
You can compensate for this by adding additional external
circuitry.  Then you should have no problem.

You can also buy the Ten-Tec amp and be "plug-n-play".

One thing you might also consider is that the 811A tubes are
nowhere near as robust as the 3-500z tubes, and the availability
of 811A will decrease over the next years because Sventlana
announced End-of-Life for it a couple of years ago.  Expect the
cost per tube to go up in the future.

I haven't compared price and I know one must, but bottom line,
the Ten-Tec is the superior amp.

Gud Luk.

73
Rick