Re: [TenTec] Jupiter vs 746 PRO

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Jupiter vs 746 PRO
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:18:19 -0500
John,

I have an Omni VI (option 3 upgrade) and  a Pegasus. I think the Jupiter
would be similar to the Pegasus.  The only negative I've noticed with the
Pegasus is that if there is a strong off channel signal getting through the
15 kHz roofing filter, it can cause clicks and pops to the desired signal,
even though the off channel signal isn't heard.

The TenTec SDR net meets on 7.251. A lot of times there are a bunch of guys
on 7.248. A couple of them will cause the clicks and pops when they
transmit. I don't think there's anything wrong with their signals, I blame
the Pegasus.  I can usually reduce the problem by kicking in the atteunation
or reducing RF gain.  For comparison, I do not notice the clicks and pops
with the Omni VI, even with no attenuation and full RF gain.

I've also noticed that the manual notch on the Omni VI is very effective. A
lot of times there is a continuous carrier from a SWBC station during part
of the TT SDR net.  With the Omni's manual notch, I can completely remove
the heterodyne. With the Pegasus' manual notch, it is greatly reduced, but
still present.  To be fair, I should probably compare the Omni's auto notch,
but I since the carrier is constant and stable in frequency, I just use the
manual notch.

73,
Mark