Re: [TenTec] Jupiter vs 746 PRO

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Jupiter vs 746 PRO
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:21:29 -0500
John,

> Based on what I've heard, there seems little, if anything, to be gained by
> moving from the OMNI VI to a Jupiter, and some advantage to keeping the
old

I'm not sure I would agree with that statement. While I think the Omni VI is
better both on Rx and Tx, the Jupiter still performs very well and for
normal operation one might never appreciate the difference. Also, the
Jupiter does have features that the Omni VI does not:

1) Available internal automatic antenna tuner - If you use the N4PY
software, you can have automatic operation of an external LDG antenna tuner
with the Jupiter.

2) Ability to completely control the radio from a computer. Some of the
functions, such as AF Gain, are not controllable via computer interface on
the Omni.

3) General coverage receiver in the Jupiter - there is life outside the ham
bands.  There is even a simple mod posted on the N9VV.com website that will
allow you to extract a 12 kHz IF from the Jupiter and feed it to computer
soundcard and receive DRM (Digital Radio Mondiale) signals, the new digital
mode used by SW broadcasters.

4) AM transmit with the Jupiter

5) A lot more IF filter choices on the Jupiter, and they are already
built-in.

6) Adjustable transmit bandwidth if you want to experiment with HiFi SSB.

73,
Mark