[TenTec] Re: End Fed Antennas [Was: Capture area]

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Re: End Fed Antennas [Was: Capture area]
From: edoc <kd4e@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 13:02:20 -0500
ac5e@comcast.net wrote:
I definitely agree with Sinisa. I have tried direct feeding an antenna, starting with the antenna terminial on an ARC5 around 1948 or '49, and never had much luck with it. Except at picking up a remarkable number of minor but painful RF burns along the way. So even a relatively short transmission line, with some means to keep RF out of the shack if that's needed, is much better than no transmission line at all. 73 Pete Allen AC5E

I have to respectfully differ.

I direct-fed a longwire from an older tube rig and experienced the
RF nibbling at my lips ... but the solution was readily found.

1.  A good chassis ground.
2.  A multiband counterpoise.

I was renting a second-floor room while at the Seminary and my
desk was back-to-back with the bathroom.  A small hole through the
wall provided access to the cold water pipe for the ground.

I then acquired some multi-wire flat rotor control cable and cut
the far ends to 1/4 wave on the Ham bands (and taped them) --
problem solved and performance noticably increased.

Toroids, etc. may be a more elegant solution but I wonder about potential efficiency as I am guessing energy is lost on transmit
via heat in the toroid.

IMHO, YMMV ... ;-) doc

--
Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e