Re: [TenTec] Capture area (was 80 meter loops)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Capture area (was 80 meter loops)
From: Jason Buchanan <jsb@digistar.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 13:35:32 -0500
ac5e@comcast.net wrote:

I definitely agree with Sinisa. I have tried direct feeding an antenna, starting with the antenna terminial on an ARC5 around 1948 or '49, and never had much luck with it. Except at picking up a remarkable number of minor but painful RF burns along the way.

So even a relatively short transmission line, with some means to keep RF out of the shack if that's needed, is much better than no transmission line at all.

With as many different antennas as there are to choose from, most of whose characteristics are well know and widely published, there's no use buying troubles trying to reinvent the wheel.

I have dipoles at home, no endfed stuff at the house. I will have a chance to experiment with this on my next trip out of town staying in a hotel. My plans then are to dangle the antenna out of the window, etc.

What i'm trying to do is just for use either in the woods or sitting in the car, predominantly in the car. I have a preeeemo spot for operation at lunch time sitting on top of a very tall hill (there are no mountains in massachusetts) with a clear view of the ocean. There is a large oak with a perfect branch sticking out about 60 feet above the parking lot surface. I plug my portable rig into the cigarette lighter and pull the antenna up with the other end attached to a male BNC plug connected to the back of the radio. The car is the counterpoise.

I wish I had the chance to use my portable rig when I was at the Mandalay Omni at Las Colinas (Dallas area). I was on the 20th floor I believe. Oh boy oh boy...