[TenTec] Can Iambic be used as single Paddle

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Can Iambic be used as single Paddle
From: "W9GE" <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:35:38 -0400
Some of you make me drool with envy.  I used to have what I thought was a
decent fist, but then I switched to squeeze keying.  That was 25 years ago
and my fist has never been as good since.  It happened when I discovered
squeeze paddles and iambic keyers.

Wish I could switch back and unlearn 25 years worth.  Maybe I could have a
fist to be proud of again.  Cannot tell you how many times I have tried, and
that includes using the "other" hand, without success to switch back to non
squeeze keying.  Is there a secret I have missed along the way?  And no, it
is not because of A vs B curtis chips.  I am a B user, cause I cannot make
the letter C consistently with A keying.

I went the total route; pump to bug to the original TO keyer ( I built one)
to the Original Curtis chip Lil Bugger to an Accu-Memory Keyer ( I built
one) to the K3 and Orion internal today.  All are/were excellent and equally
better than I was.  By the way my straight key must have a navy knob on it.
I have several Benchers and one Shurr Proffi paddle.  Both are fine
instruments.

I look longingly at a chrome Vibroplex Original made the same year I was and
a blue racer that is a bit younger than I am.  I cannot use either.  Nor can
I use the Lionel bug my dad was issued while in Burma during WWII and
subsequently used to work 300+ countries and who knows how many radiograms
while not on duty again during Korean action.  If that one could talk, the
stories it would tell.

My alltime favorite is a beautiful Autronic non squeeze paddle.  Weighs
enuff to stay put and has a feel that I have not seen duplicated.  But, I
never had an original FYO. I do have a March on order.

This thread has convinced me to hook up the Autronic and try it again.  I am
with the crowd that believes iambic keying has been a bane to sending good
cw. For some of us who may be anal retentive going back seems impossible,
and as I age my timing ain't sharp enuff to send good cw at 35+ by
squeezing, even if I only do it on some of the characters.  I teach cw to
new hams and force myself to use a keyboard so at least they can hear
perfect cw while learning.  But, keyboard cw is not the same when on the air
to me.  Just not fun.

I chase dx and contest mostly with the keyboard now.  Sometimes I use the
paddles, but do not do it well.  I would love to un-learn squeeze keying so
I can comfortably rag chew again.

My hat is off to those of you who can switch back and forth and do it well.
73 bob de w9ge