Re: [TenTec]Bugs, was Iambic

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec]Bugs, was Iambic
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:17:24 +0000
John - you can slide the weights on most bugs out close to the end and slow it
down to around 18 to 20 WPM. Some, like mine, have multiple weights that will
allow slower speeds. And you can always add weights if you wish.

But many of the old shipboard Sparks set the weights for a comfortable speed to
them and their mates, and sent the dashes "long" to slow their speed down to
whatever the other op seems comfortable at. That is - 30 wpm dots and perhaps
20 wpm dashes. The resulting "Banana boat swing" is easy enough to copy at the
slower speed although it may take a few seconds to adjust to.

One of my buddies was Sparks on the old Lykes Line, and Jimmy used NO weights
at all. That was pretty extreme but he said the shore stations should be able
to copy anything he could.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E

--
Never squat with your spurs on
" 3)  What about a bug , single paddle  vibrating key , can I send slow around