Re: [TenTec] Additional Thoughts on New Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Additional Thoughts on New Orion
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:51:25 -0500
>     But, I do have a question for the board regarding Ten-Tec's
>     selection of roofing filters.  Remembering that the roofing
>     filters do not set the receive bandwidth

In part, you've answered your own question.  The 2.4  Khz roofing filter is
not designed to set the receive bandwidth -- that's done in DSP, which
with the 6Khz roofing filter is a reasonable combination for SSB.

I suspect the 2.4 Khz filter is 2.4 Khz because that is a standard T-T 9
Mhz filter bandwidth, and there was no clear reason to build another
custom filter with a different bandwidth.

You can use the 2.4 Khz filter effectively on SSB, however -- just go into
the filter menu and select it, then set your DSP bandwidth to 2.4 Khz or
less.  That works well, too.

You can do the same thing with the 1.8 Khz filter as well.  Select that filter
in the roofing filter menu, then set DSP filtering at 1.8 Khz or a bit less.
You can then shift the passband around a bit to still get very readible
SSB.  Lots of flexibility to meet the requirements du jour ..

Grant/NQ5T
http://www.globeking.com
http://www.globeking.com/pro310