Re: [TenTec] Additional Thoughts on New Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Additional Thoughts on New Orion
From: "Richard Detweiler" <rdetweil@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 23:07:06 -0500
Hi Bernard,

I'm Richard, K5SF, I'd llike to try and answer for you some of this, I'm sure if it's not correct, others will chime in.

First of all, the 2.4 filter does auto engage at around 2000 BW. BW is a function of the BW setting AND the PBT setting.

When using these narow filters for SSB, Try setting the BW to 2400 then shifting the PBT to something like +450 .

Notice that the BW Decreases as the PBT is adjusted positive.

Thus the total pass band for the 2400 needed for SSB is reduced to 1950 hz. That gets below the 2000 hz automatic drop in.

The RX Frequency doesn't change, but the PBT shifts upwards 450 hz, that cuts off the low tones and Norrows the BW cutting the QRM.

This trick can be used to the extreme as well, say for AFSK where we use LSB, I can shift the PBT up all the way to +2100 and adjust the BW down to nearly 200 hz, so I only get the RTTY signal, If in Auto, my 250 HZ filter will engage, but I'm receiving very high pitch tones through a very narrow pass band.

Hope that helps a little,

Next question, The point at which it auto changes is fixed in the micro code, so changing the filter doesn't affect the change over.

Congradulations on the Orion, So far it's proving itself a champ, Lets all work together to make it better...

73's
Rich
K5SF