Re: [TenTec] BPL suit

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] BPL suit
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:10:46 -1000

a 500
million-one Billion (pick a number) dollar class action suit that involved

Whoa, where do you get this number?

100,000 Amateurs with $5,000 investment each, in HF/ low VHF equipment, which BPL makes unusable would be 500 million. I do not know whether a class action suit is the way to go. However, HF spectrum and it's unique charactersitics are not provided by the government. It is provided by the laws of nature/physics/god whatever. It has been decided in our system that our government assigns the "privilege" to use these nature given resources only to those who use the spectrum within the manmade (government made) rules, either by license or part 15 or other non-license methods. Within this set-up it could be argues that the government does not have the right to make our investment in equipment valueless by revoking our privileges with out due process. Allowing BPL to jam HF into unusability would be effectively a revocation of privileges. There may be cases where this has already been done, when spectrum is reassigned and equipment becomes obsolete as a result. I know that the FM broadcast band has had various incarnations, as well as some of the TV broadcast channels. Spark was outlawed, making spark transmitters obsolete. This was done for sound technical reasons, and the same reasons make BPL a candidate for being banned.