Re: [TenTec] ScoutII

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ScoutII
From: "Stuart Rohre" <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 17:02:18 -0500
As much as we like to dream, the reality is that RF HF transistors are
getting harder and harder to find.   The industry has shifted to the UHF and
above.  That creates problems in producing a Scout II.

I imagine the 20 watt rating of Argonaut V was in answer to the realities of
transistor supply as much as market niche.

There is a still declining 5 watt market of the CB transistor; but little
else until you get to the UHF types or the types used in more powerful
broadcast applications.   The economy of Japan has priced their production
very high; and the Chinese seek the newer marketable components, where the
action is all above HF.

A number of the transistors used in recent Yaecomwood radios are already
unavailable in the new component markets.  US manufacture of HF RF
semiconductors is in disarray with the breakup of Motorola into several
companies seeking more lucrative product lines than HF transistors.

Here at the research labs, we have been hard pressed to find suitable driver
transistors for 100 watt amps or finals being developed on some special
programs.

73, Stuart
K5KVH