Re: [TenTec] Yaesu FL-7000 to Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Yaesu FL-7000 to Orion
From: Bob Henderson <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 21:20:43 +0000
Don

It is possible to auto band change the FL7000 or other Yaesu amp from the Orion but not without an encoder to produce compatible band data.

Yaesu provide binary parralel band data from their radios and that is what the FL7000 uses for auto band switching. For other purposes such as antenna selection or band pass filter selection this parralel band data has to be decoded to per band single line outputs. For instance, a TopTen devices band decoder would do this job.

The Orion approaches this differently and provides a set of already decoded single line outputs, one for each band, which can be used to directly switch antenna reelays etc. (Some buffering may be necessary depending upon your relay specs etc.

So............if you want to auto band change your FL7000 from your Orion you will have to pick up the decoded line outputs from the band data socket and encode them to binary parralel to be compatible with the FL7000. Not too difficult but you will need to use a 16 to 4 line encoder or something similar to achieve it. A soldering iron will be necessary! Hi!

Good luck. I'm leaving now for the airport at Larnaca, on route for a great weekend at Dayton.

73

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F

Don wrote:

Thanks Mike, but the FL-7000 does not need one.  It only needs 12V at a max of
10ma. to be keyed.
It worked fine with my Jupiter so I think it will be fine with the Orion.
Looks like you make a nice unit though.
I'm a little more interested in any commits on the band data control.  I think
it should work also but have
not found enough information to convince myself yet.