Re: [TenTec] Yaesu FL-7000 to Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Yaesu FL-7000 to Orion
From: Bob Henderson <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 07:21:13 +0000
Don

I have taken a little closer look at this for you.

The Orion provides 9 line outputs, one per band 160-10m. These outputs are open collector, active low.

The Yaesu band data is 4 bit BCD with 160m = 1 and 10m = 9. I believe these are active high.

You can interface one to the other with a single IC if you can find the right one. This needs to be a 10 to 4 line BCD encoder with active low inputs and active high outputs. Such a device is likely available but just now I haven't been able to identify it.

The 74HC147 is a 10 to 4 line BCD encoder with active low inputs and active low outputs. You could use one of these but you will need a second chip to invert the sense of the outputs. A 74HC04 hex invertor is suitable for this.

If you can get hold of these chips it should only take half an hour with a soldering iron and a piece of strip board to construct the interface. BTW as the outputs from the Orion are open collector you will likely need pull up resistors on the inputs to the 74HC147. Anything 1-10k should be fine.

I'm just building my interfaces from my two Orions to my Array Solutions Six Pack. No need for expensive band decoders here, just six transistors per interface. Almost done.

Good luck!

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F
Bob Henderson wrote:

Don

Not quite.......to interface the Orion to the FL7000 for auto band change you will require some logic to make the interfaces compatible. This will take the form of a 16 to 4 line encoder of some type. Definately not just a cable. If you are not familiar with binary logic yourself you'll need to enlist the help of someone local to you who is.

I hope I've clarified that for you.

73 Bob, 5B4AGN

Don wrote:

Bob

"It is possible to auto band change the FL7000 or other Yaesu amp from the Orion but not without an encoder to produce compatible band data.

Yaesu provide binary parallel band data from their radios and that is what the FL7000 uses for auto band switching."

So if I understand this correctly to "auto" band switch all I should have to do is make up the cable? Just want to confirm that I am reading correctly.

thanks

Don kd6hq