[TenTec] Question for Contesters:

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Question for Contesters:
From: Barry N1EU <n1eu@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 06:48:51 -0700 (PDT)
"Reality is that FT-1000x was released with a number
of problems two orders of magnitude smaller than
Orion's."

I owned two MP's.  At least the key-clicks could be
fixed with a few hours of effort.  But I never saw a
fix for what was IMHO, the worst implementation of
fast AGC I ever encountered.  Between AGC which would
intermittently take several hundred msec to fully
recover during qsk, and internal antenna relays
causing intermittent receive signal levels, this rig
had a real Jekyll/Hyde contesting personality
especially in intensive cw contesting.  Funny thing is
that the symptoms can seem like QSB and you'd think it
was the propagation causing signals to be weak at any
given time, when it was really the rig.  It took
several years of contesting on an MP for me to finally
understand what was really going on.

73,
Barry N1EU