Re: [TenTec] Radials

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Radials
From: "Tony Martin W4FOA" <w4foa@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 11:05:28 -0400
Having had considerable experience in burying radials, I would only add this
one lesson I learned the hard way....

If possible, use insulated wire, as heavy as you can afford, and try to keep
it "nick" free to preserve the integrity of the wire.  I buried MANY feet of
bare wire and have found that the acid in my soil has basically "eaten" my
radial system.  I have also found that the first radials I buried
(insulated) are still pretty much as they were when I first installed them.
Just my 2 cents and hopefully it will save someone some wasted effort.  I
might as well mention here as well that I made a very inexpensive
"trenching" tool out of a skill saw blade and a heavy wooden replacement
shovel handle by cutting a slit in the bottom of the handle and inserting
the blade with a bolt axle.  If the ground is damp, this works great...slide
the wire in the groove and walk over the "trench" a couple of times....Good
luck...and yes, radials do make a BIG difference.
73
Tony, W4FOA