Re: [TenTec] omni v short dits

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] omni v short dits
From: "Bob Henderson" <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:12:49 -0000
I deduce from your mail that you're not overly impressed by Idiom Press and
their K3 keyer!  I don't own a K3 and have no relationship with Idiom Press.
I do use a Samson ETM9 which is a Logikey circuit, similar I believe, to the
K3.  I point all of this out as I am now going to disagree with you  pretty
much 100%.

There is a world of difference between weighting and keying compensation.
Though at a given speed it is possible to adjust either for a similar
sounding effect.  It is the speed change that you make after the weighting
adjustment that causes things to come apart at the seems.

Weighting is the duty cycle of a string of dots.  It is adjustable on most
modern keyers in the range 25-75%.  Good code is dot weighted at 50%.

Keying compensation changes key down to key up time by a fixed number of mS
completely independent of sending speed.

Weighting was originally talked about when mechanical bugs were the norm.
These keys frequently clipped dots and or made unclean breaks at the end of
dots.  All of these were mechanical problems.  The rigs of the day had a
different, though complementary tendency to extend character elements.  Of
course rigs then didn't have microprocessor control and tended to be either
cathode or grid block keyed.  Back in those days with cathode keyed rigs the
steps you took to avoid key clicks were not only to remove the clicks caused
by the rig but also by the unclean make and break tendency of the mechanical
bugs contacts.  In classic fashion the tendency was to soften the rise and
fall of the carrier wave at the start and end of character elements.
Sometimes this was done to what by today's standards, would be considered
extreme ammounts.  Didn't you ever set up a bug using an ohmeter so you
could see it was producing 50% duty cycle but then find it sounded either
heavy or scratchy when keying the rig?  Scratchy because of the bug contacts
or heavy because of the time constant added to get rid of the scratchy
effect.  Frequently, I would find that weighting would need to be set at
40-45% at the bug to produce 50% on air.  (Elements extended through click
reduction measures).  The big problem was that weighting set at 25 wpm was
no good at all if the speed was increased to 50 wpm.  It's easy to see
why.........

Say for example, you have a dot length of 40mS with keyer weight set at 50%
but that this sounds heavy because of your rigs wave shaping time constant.
You reduce your weighting to 40% to restore a 50% weighted on air signal
from the transmitter.  Having done this, your keyer dot length would be 32mS
to produce an on air 50% weighted 40mS dot.  In this scenario your TX is
extending character elements by 8mS.  Quite common in the "Old days".  Now
you double your speed and half your keyer dot length to 20mS.  What happens?
Well your keying sounds heavy again.  Why?  Because your 40% weighting is
shortening your dot by only 4mS to 16mS now but your TX is extending your
dot by 8ms meaning that on air your dot is 24mS long.  To restore an on air
50% weight you would have to reduce your keyer weighting to 30%.

By now you can probably see that keying compensation is a much better
scenario.  If your rig extends by X mS you want your keyer to shorten your
elements by X mS.  On the other hand if your rig truncates character
elements by X mS you will want your keyer to extend elements by X.

Earlier firmware in the Orion truncated character elements by around 8-10mS.
I got around that problem with my keyer which I programmed to extend
character elements by 8mS.  This fixed the problem regardless of sending
speed.  I could have achieved a similar result by adjusting weighting but I
would have had to readjust it every time I changed keying speed.  Not nearly
as convenient.

The 8-10mS element truncation on the Orion is now a thing of the past, so I
have deleted the 8mS extension from my ETM9C programming.  I believe Orion
still truncates by around 2-3mS but that is not significant at the speeds I
work.  Never these days do I send above 50 wpm.  If I did and I was
concerned about it then it only takes a moment to program a 2 or 3mS delay
into my ETM9C.  I can do the same in Writelog for computer generated code
for contesting.  Interestingly the author of Writelog has confused matters
somewhat by referring to what is a keying compensation adjustment in the
program as a "Weighting " adjustment.

So there you have it.  If I have explained myself adequately, you will now
understand the difference between weighting and keying compensation.  Who
knows you might even conclude the folks at Idiom are not quite the Idiots
you thought. I guess the corollary is that if my explanation doesn't work
for you then you'll just add me to the Idiom Asylum.

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F