Re: [TenTec] omni v short dits

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] omni v short dits
From: "Bob Henderson" <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:38:16 -0000
Steve

Both keying compensation and keying weight are constants.  Compensation is a
constant time period added to every character element, whereas Weight is a
constant ratio.  The time compensating effect of Weight is variable with
speed for a given ratio constant.

I can assure you the Logikey circuit of the K3 will behave in this way.  If
you want first hand proof then connect up a 'scope and check it out.

I grant you that the Weight control on some keyers adjusts both dot and dash
length but that does not alter the origin of weight and its initial
definition.  With mechanical bugs only the dots were made automatically by
the action of the pendulum, the dashes were made manually.  The adjustment
of keying weight referred to the mark space ratio of dots.

It is understandable that with the el-bug, a Weight adjustment might
logically be used to adjust the period for both dot and dash.  After all,
whatever Tx time constant is being compensated affects both dots and dashes.

My advice to anyone buying an electronic keyer today would be to buy one
with Keying Compensation and forget about Weighting controls.  Weighting
controls belong in a bygone age.  What they set out to do can be far better
achieved today with Keying Compensation.

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F