Re: [TenTec] omni v short dits

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] omni v short dits
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 00:04:55 +0000
Well, after ten years or so memory gets tricky but the paddles plugged into a
mini stereo phone jack on the right side of the rig, facing the back. Said jack
going to the internal keyer, if my memory serves. The straight/bug key jack
should be an RCA jack on the same row of jacks as the relay jack close to the
bottom of the rig.
One Field Day we had a guy bring a bug with a phone plug and an adapter who
tried to use his bug in a manner unacceptable to the V. I don't remember what
problem it caused but I do remember being roused from a sound sleep to find a
proper adapter and plug it into the straight key jack. Which solved that
problem but poor baby couldn't adjust the keyer speed from the Omni's front
panel any more.
Just as a general comment, making the dangerous assumption that we are talking
about a Vibroplex bug, the dash and dot contacts should be tied together with a
flat strap along the left side of the base, and another strap should go from
the dot contact to the front binding post on the weight damper end (rear) of
the bug. The only thing shifting the weight from the dot spring collar to the
damper will do is increase (in) or decrease (out) the dot speed.
73  Pete Allen  AC5E
Never squat with your spurs on