Re: [TenTec] Basic question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Basic question
From: "Billy Cox" <aa4nu@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 13:47:09 -0500
>Next we turned on the Orion's NR and set it to about 4.
>
>The result was something similar to having turned on a squelch.  Well you
>could still hear a little audio, but basically the background was quiet.

Perhaps I am showing my age but a forgotten 'trick' that can be used
with just about any rcvr ... is to simply back off the RF GAIN to create a
similar situation ...   as in if the noise level is S-7, then back the RF
GAIN to that point ... you could do this with the 850 there and then compare
the two. No doubt, the Orion with it's DSP could, if set up properly, be
better  but many rcvrs, across a wide range of years, actually do very well
by just "riding the RF GAIN, or <gasp> even turning the AGC/AVC OFF.

(How many still remember we used to call this AVC?)  B-)

There's also some other benefits of backing off the RF GAIN,
but to keep it simple for now ... try it on your non-Orion rig ... it
might surprise you what this one change makes as to your receiving
capability in the typical setup.

<Now, with the DSP/etc. certainly there's some great new 'tools' to try
but lets not overlook how rcvrs/etc. are/were made to function too ...>

When I test drove the Orion at TT ... having the ABILITY to make MANY
changes was impressive, but the "chief op" in front of that Orion front
screen really needs to invest the time to understand how rcvrs work, and
what the changes in the parameters really are impacting ... What TT has
done is allow more flexibility <and changed some of the terms in the process
due to the technology> to dial in what you need, when you need it ...

98% of the time, the settings, on ANY rig ... probably make little or no
real difference to the op ... ah, but that other 2% of the time, say working
a new country on 160m in the summer QRN ... knowing how one's rcvr
works, and how to properly configure whatever options you have, like
they say on TV ...

"Priceless"

So ...know thy rig ... <whatever brand/flavor>
and then know how to use thy rig's rcvr properly ...

Have a great week!

73 Billy AA4NU