Re: [TenTec] Basic question (especially NR operation)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Basic question (especially NR operation)
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 19:43:46 -0400
Actually, Sinisa, I was referring to your FB writeup on the Orion where you recommend backing off on the RF gain until the S-meter drops back about 12 dB(?) or so. It was your first step in optimizing the receive performance of the Orion, if I remember correctly. I agree with the RF gain technique on older technology rigs. In fact, I was taught to do this as a novice back in 1956!

73, Joe

Sinisa Hristov wrote:

Joe Giacobello wrote:

Also, despite Sinisa's recommendations to the contrary, I have been
running my RF gain wide open and varying the AGC threshold setting
(relatively easy with N4PY's software) to maintain band noise and QRN at
an acceptable level.

If this applies to Orion - I'd do the same.
Suggestion of reducing RF GAIN applies to TS850, MP
and similar rigs.

73,

Sinisa  YT1NT, VA3TTN