Re: [TenTec] dit chopper IC-7800

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] dit chopper IC-7800
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:20:44 -0400
Hi Duane,

I used to run an IC-781 and my Titan 425 at very high speeds and full QSK.
Of course the Titan 425 (and the Titan 3) incorporates the KEY IN and the
KEY  OUT circuitry. You simply connect your keyer into the Key In connector
on the amplifier, which closes the series of relays in the amp, then have
the Key Out line actually connected to your Key input on your xcvr, in this
case, the IC-781. Worked excellent for me because the IC-781 would switch
fast enough to drop the RF into the amp, before the amps series of relays
all opened. I could hear my QSO partner breaking me, mostly between words,
at speeds in excess of 100 wpm. I ran this set up for almost two years, so
for sure there was no hot switching going on.

It's  turning out  that most hams who are using an Orion, use the Amp Key 1
or 2 to switch their amps. And they are not using the Orion's Keying Loop. I
have to revert to firmware v1.369 for my Orion and Titan 3 to operate  when
using the Keying Loop of the Orion.

Tom - W4BQF