Re: [TenTec] dit chopper IC-7800

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] dit chopper IC-7800
From: "Bob Henderson" <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:37:57 -0000
Duane

I have been running full QSK for almost 30 years.  I have never used a
keying loop with my amps and I don't have hot switching problems.
Currently, I have two Orions, one drives an Alpha 87A and the other an Acom
1000.  The 87A is pin diode switched but the Acom uses a vacuum relay.  Both
amps are controlled with direct connections from the Amp Key 1 outputs of
the Orions.

With apologies for mentioning the unmentionable..........I have previously
used these amps successfully in QSK with TS930, TS870, TS950, TS570,
FT100MP, FT1000MP Mk V Field, & Elecraft K2.  The only radio I have which
will not work well without modification is my Omni VI+.  The VI+ doesn't QSK
properly with these amps whether I use a loop circuit or not.  The only way
I have been able to get either of these amps to work properly in QSK with
the VI+ is by retiming the TX Out signal from the VI+.  TX Out from the Omni
VI+ is enabled in a timely fashion on key down so there is no leading edge
problem but it is disabled about 15-20mS too soon and so causes tail end
clipping big style.  The loop circuit on the VI+ appears timed specifically
for Ten Tec amps.

Bob, 5B4AGN