[TenTec] INRAD 600Hz Orion filter arrived

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] INRAD 600Hz Orion filter arrived
From: "Tom Whiteside" <tomw@ecpi.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:51:40 -0500
Bill's comments about not losing anything by just putting the 600Hz filter
in the 1000Hz slot make good sense to me and I plan to keep mine that way
with the 1000Hz filter in storage.    The first thing I did when the filter
arrived was to hook up Spectrogram and look at the filters - a habit picked
up from K2 adjustments.   I will have to try Bill's experiment with
Spectrogram and the PBT next time I play with the radio.   I have always
just use random noise to evaluate the filters but no reason you can't look
at Spectrogram in combat with interfering signals.

When I first got the Orion, I had been playing with PSK31 and left the
waterfall display when I scooted to a 40M sked.    There was a broadcast HET
3 KHz off the frequency and I used the DSP notch function to nail it with a
very narrow notch.   Happened to glance up at the waterfall display and you
could see the thinnest black line from the notched out area.   Turning off
the notch, you could now see a white line where the black line was from the
HET.    Pretty cool stuff.

Tom Whiteside
N5TW Georgetown, TX