[TenTec] ICOM PROII vs 6+ experiment

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] ICOM PROII vs 6+ experiment
From: John Rippey <w3uls@3n.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:23:25 -0400
My experience with a couple of DSP rigs--a 746PRO and a TS-870S--is that the key to hearing a signal in the free and clear (or eliminating nearby signal artifacts) involves very careful manipulation of the RF gain and/or attenuation levels. The OMNI is much less finicky about the signal level going forward because it doesn't have an A/D converter in the signal path to contend with.

I'm going to work an OMNI VI and the other two Friday evening/
Saturday during the WAE CW contest to see which one I like best. I don't expect to hear much difference in electrical performance, because all three are very good at getting the preferred signal to my ears, but the DSP rigs require more hands-on attention. I think it will come down to ease-of-use issues--punching buttons for various levels of selectivity for example (OMNI and PRO), as opposed to twirling a knob (TS-870S), and then fiddling with the RF gain, etc. The older I get the less interested I am in making a lot of on-the-fly adjustments.

If the FT-920 had the OMNI's innards, THAT would be one mean CW rig :-)

Anyhow, it's amazing the kind of selectivity available with these rigs.

73,
John, W3ULS