[TenTec] Yet another basic question

Subject: [TenTec] Yet another basic question
From: Gary Tuck <gtuck@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 08:12:44 -0700
As I've been reading, 30 days isn't nearly long enough to really make an informed decision about the Orion--so I'm trying to anticipate and speed the learning and issues process.

One thing I've been especially picky about is receiver hiss. I virtually always operate with headphones on --Kenwood HS-5's primarily. My TS-850s has it's share of hiss, as has every other radio I've owned. I've used the Kenwood speakers with built in passive audio filters, active filters, an interface with a variable resistor (L-pad, I think) etc, to get the best compromise of S/N, sidetone volume, lack of hiss etc.

Seems like the Orion plays best with stereo phones and regular stereo audio phones have a much wider frequency response than my HS-5's.

So, asking about your experiences with the Orion audio and types of headphones which seem to work the best.

tnx es 73, Gary WB7FCQ (and hopefully with a new call next month from FCC which is more CW friendly!)