[TenTec] grounding dipoles

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] grounding dipoles
From: Jason Buchanan <jsb@digistar.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 15:51:19 -0400

I have 3 dipoles on a single push-up pole about 4 or 5 feet apart on the pole - I use a 4-way antenna switch to switch from one antenna to the other. I'm curious if I should disconnect the dipoles i'm not using to avoid creating weird nulls or other problems or if it is okay to leave them connected to the switch all the time - the main reason I ask is the antenna switch I have connects the center and shield to ground when they are not selected on the switch, in essence creating ground radials fairly close to the active dipole.

I'm wondering if I should actually be disconnecting these other dipoles completely so they are not tied to anything (just dangling loose, disconnected completely) when using the other dipole(s).