Re: [TenTec] Steppir vs Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com, support@steppir.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Steppir vs Orion
From: Martin Ewing <martin@aa6e.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:27:25 -0400
The SteppIR cable "K2" has Orion-Steppir connections: 2-2, 3-3, 5-5, shell-shell, and pins 7-9 jumpered at SteppIR side. This accords with the Steppir document at http://www.steppir.com/pdf/serial%20interface%20operation.pdf .

However, I find that the Orion requires RTS (pin 7) high before it will communicate. This is not the same as pin 7 on the Steppir side. A jumper between pins 7 & 8 on the Orion side will connect RTS and CTS for the Orion. This configuration works for me. (If I only had a nickle for every time I came to grief with modem control signals...)

Steppir should know that the K2 cable is not sufficient for the stock Orion.

Cheers,
Martin, AA6E

Bernard(wtrone) wrote:

   Martin: I had the same problem with my Orion.  They sent me the K2 cable
and it just wouldn't work.  After a couple of conversations with Jim at
SteppIR, we decided that the pin connections were incorrect.  They sent me
another cable, but I built one in the meanwhile.

   The correct pin to pin connections are Pin 2 to Pin2, Pin5 to Pin5, Pin3
to Pin3, and Pin7 to Pin7?  Pin 7 and Pin 9 must be jumpered at the SteppIR
Controller end.  This worked for me and the cable that I later received also
worked.

   I think if you make up a cable with these pin outs you will get the
interface to work.

73,

Bernard, WA4OEJ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin Ewing" <martin@aa6e.net>