[TenTec] Didn't take 30 days

Subject: [TenTec] Didn't take 30 days
From: Gary Tuck <gtuck@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 18:52:45 -0700
Only took a couple of days to decide on keeping the Orion. When switching back and forth with my TS 850S/AT (InRad 400 Hz filters in both IF's), there is nothing I cannot hear on the Orion that I can on the TS-850---but the NR and NB's are tremendous. It's incredible to hear the noise just drop away. Listening is so much more pleasurable in the city now!. Also love being able to tailor the AGC action--not that I'm doing any more than following others recommendations as starting points at this time. Also enjoy being able to adjust sidetone volume on the fly.

The flexibility of configuring virtually every other option seems more like a challenge at this point --keep on ending up in the wrong mode or readjusting BW from 6000 to 500. Or wondering why I've no sound. Trying to listen to WWV on the sub receiver--or actually getting back to the ham bands-- has ended me in a feature maze more often than not. But--I, too, will learn.

One of the first questions I had for the most helpful folks on this list was about low impedance phones and audio hiss. No problem there at all. Very quiet except for some AGC pop on the leading edge of strong signals and the same while transmitting in QSK. Also need to learn how to use the band stacking registers and memories more effectively. And not jump when the AT shrieks and growls.

Anyway, enough newbie chatter. Just appreciate everyone's kind help in making the decision to order an Orion and answer my "basic questions."

Gary W7TEA