Re: [TenTec] Re: [Ten-Tec] Alas, not for me

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: [Ten-Tec] Alas, not for me
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 17:59:01 -0400
Bob, are Sherwood's data for the FT1KMPs with the 4 KHz Inrad roofing filter installed?

73, Joe

Bob Henderson wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Rippey" <w3uls@3n.net>

Finally, with the new roofing filters forthcoming from INRAD, a bunch of
older radios soon are going to have sterling dynamic range capabilities,
and you won't have to jump through hoops like the mods required on the
TS-870, or shell out big bucks.

snip

I wonder if George's new filters will have the effect of discouraging
introduction of new ham rigs since the older ones are being given such
powerful new legs?

snip

This will be an interesting one when the full story is told.  Certainly so
far as the FT1kMP is concerned.  The roofing filter from Inrad has a 4 kHz
b/w which makes quite a good choice for SSB but is a lot of b/w for CW.
Interestingly, the filter requires some additional amplification to get over
its insertion loss and I understand that Inrad have opted to include enough
amplification to get over that loss and add a little bit more.  What price
that extra amplification?

Figures published by Rob Sherwood

http://www.sherweng.com/Dayton_2004/Dynamic_Range_Data.pdf

show the following dynamic range numbers at 2 kHz:-

TT-Orion 1 kHz roofing    92db
FT1k MkV        70db
FT1k            69db
FT1kMkV Field     60db

Sherwood also states that an additional 6-7db improvement in IMD at 2 kHz is
obtained with the Inrad 762 filter.  This puts Orions range at 2 kHz up to
98db or better.  That's a full 28db better than the FT1k MkV and 38db better
than the Field.

That's a big gap and one that can only widen when the roofing filter mod is
added.  The question is by how much?  As a CW man, I wonder whether the
benefit in improved IMD at 5 kHz will outweigh the deterioration in IMD at 2
kHz.  I have an MP but for now my roofing filter dollars will stay in my
pocket.  Time will tell.

Bob, 5B4AGN