Re: [TenTec] Corsair II

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair II
From: "J. W. (Dub) Thornton" <dub@oklahoma.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:21:10 -0500
Rob & all:

Its the KEY/KEYER OUT RCA jacks on the Corsair II, and the statement that it has
nothing to do with the keyer could be a bit confusing, especially to someone like
Jim with no manual to refer to. You understand how it works, and covered it in
your next sentence, however, a little further explanation might help some.

The RCA jack marked KEY is what we plug into with any external keying device,
(handkey, bug, keyer, etc) to actually key the radio.

The RCA jack marked KEYER OUT is the output from the internal keyer.  It must
be jumpered to the KEY jack in order to key the radio with the internal keyer.

I do not use an amp, so will not get into the hookup, other than to comment that
with Ten Tec QSK amps, the amp is keyed by your keying device (internal keyer, or
external keying device) and the amp then keys the radio.

I never use an amp, so soldered a jumper wire, inside the radio's case, between the
KEY & KEYER OUT jacks. My external keying devices, handkey, bug, external keyer,
keyboards & computer are all paralleled, with one key line that plugs into the KEY jack. I plug a paddle into the KEYER PADDLE jack to operate the internal keyer. With this setup, I can key the radio with any keying device I have at any time with no plugs/switches/etc to mess with.

Please note, the soldered wire jumper would have to be removed in order to key a Ten Tec QSK amp.

"73" Dub