Re: [TenTec] Corsair vs. Peg receivers?

To: k9uw@wi-net.com, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair vs. Peg receivers?
From: Duane Grotophorst <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 15:41:41 -0700 (PDT)
I have both and here's my conclusions:

1. Sensitivity (MDS) is pretty much a wash, no
discernible difference that I can tell.

2. IF/AF chain noise (hiss), the Pegasus clearly has
the edge. The Peg is much more pleasant to listen to
for hours while rag chewing, especially on SSB. On the
atmospheric noisy bands (<10M) you may not notice this
difference as much but on a quiet band the Peg is
dramatically better.

3. LO noise (contributes to reciprocal mixing, burps
and other garbage on noisy/crowded bands). The Corsair
wins here.

4. Noise reduction, Pegasus works great on strong
signals that are S7 plus, Corsair has none. Never
tried the noise blanker on either so can't comment
about that.

5. Cold start frequency stability - the Peg wins here
by far.

6. Strong signal performance close-ish spacings, The
Corsair wins, the Pegasus will overload in the last IF
and produce "ghost" signals every 12KHz +/- away from
the strong signal. This is especially problematic if
the infamous IF gain "full clockwise" mod has been
done, RF gain setting becomes extra critical in that
case.

7. Narrowest filter setting, Corsair wins (assuming it
has a 250 or 500hz CW filter installed. Both the Peg
and Corsair are good for not ringing in noisy band
conditions (my Icoms aren't).

8. Maneuverability around the band - assuming you're
comfortable with computers and are running N4PY or
Call Sign software the Peg easily wins. If on the
other hand you do not need or want to do that the
Corsair will get the job done perfectly fine.

9. AGC smoothness, Pegasus wins, it doesn't pop or
click, the Corsair does under some
conditions/settings.

With some judicious shopping you could buy both
together for a total of about $1000. Try them both
keep the one that you like better, - or both (that's
what a true TT "cultist" would do ;)".

Duane
N9DG