Re: [TenTec] Why N1MM does not support the Tentec file interface

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Why N1MM does not support the Tentec file interface
From: Duane Grotophorst <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:38:32 -0700 (PDT)
--- Lee Crocker <w9oy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> The file interface as I understand it is a way to
> get
> N1MM to run through the N4PY software and control
> the
> Orion.  There is another interface called the N4PY
> interface that could be used as well, and it may
> reduce the testing requirement.

<snip>

I would suggest that an even better way to interface
N1MM with Carl's sofware would be to use a programing
API. This is how the interface between Carl's software
and WriteLog is done. It avoids all of the setup
issues with file paths and directories. On the
WriteLog side you just need to specifiy the
"virtualized" port that Carl's software is using to
talk to the radio that Carl's program is controlling.
So it is Carl's program that has exclusive use of the
physical com port, which is a requirment for the
Pegasus and Jupiter in Pegasus emualtion mode. With
WriteLog you can have 4 sessions of Carl's software
all talking to WriteLog simulataneously using this
interface method.

Perhaps it is time for all the software writers for
ham radio programs to get together and aggree on a
industry wide progamming level interface, much like
how the ADIF and cabrillo standards came into being.
Today the logging program writers are often trying to
write radio interfaces, and radio control program
authors are frequently trying to add logging features.
A few standardized interfaces would go a long way
toward letting each type of software writer focus on
what they know and do best withouut having to expend
thier energies on things that others already do.

Duane
N9DG