Re: [TenTec] Quite PWR SUPPLY?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Quite PWR SUPPLY?
From: Dave <ve1vq@auracom.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 18:18:43 -0400
A surprising amount of linear power supplies have some level of hum. This comes from a mechanical resonance in the metal cabinet or in the transformer at 60Hz. Pressing on various parts will usually determine where the problem is. One of the cures for transformers was a whittled down piece of popsicle stick (wedge shaped) pushed down in the center of one of the widest sides between the laminations and the wire turns. Sometimes the case vibrations could be prevented by loosening or tightening screws. It's all a matter of trial and error.

I have a Dentron Cliperton amplifier with a fan that is noisy no matter what I do. The amp sits on a 1.5 inch sheet of gray foam to keep the operating desk from spreading the racket and keeping the noise down to a reasonable level.

Don't be the error part of the trial & error and keep your hands away from the high voltage. Keep one hand hooked in your belt behind your back or in a back pocket when working around anything higher than fifteen volts.

Dave
VE1VQ