RE: [TenTec] Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Orion
From: "Eric SENSI" <eric.sensi@skynet.be>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:07:14 +0100
Well,

To be frank again, the receiver might be the best one on the market, but
just for a given situation : Top band, CW, weak signal, contest... Okay.

Once I'm trying to get off the amateur bands and listen to the HF spectrum -
I'm still a strong SWL kind of guy - I'm very surprized by some other
strange things, distortion on strong signals causing a very bad audio thru
the speaker or headphones, AM reception is NOT the best I've heard (The Kwd
TS-870S was unbeatable), very poor sensitivity under 700 to 600KHz so I've
lost some stations I was in touch with in a daily basis... etc.

Having an Orion just for weak CW signal DXing on the top band, mmmmmmmh
sounds very bizarre to me.

I do not think that all the other things are minor, some functions are there
but you can't use it, so why implement them on the design and on the
commercial brochure ? Sounds like Bill Gates who put a lot of things into
the Beta versions of Windows 95 and finally remove them on the Alpha and
final releases.

Microsoft says : ok it's by design, can't change it, so do not use it ! I
would prefer having the DVR memory removed in the Orion as nearly each time
I want to use it, it crashes the main receiver ! And I think it is a GREAT
functionnality, but man, you can't use it ! ;-)

Eric, ON6CV.