RE: [TenTec] Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Orion
From: "Eric SENSI" <eric.sensi@skynet.be>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:24:03 +0100
Hey thanks for the info, I think that's why I had a lot of troubles trying
to connect the Heil Goldline 4 mic to the Orion, it was simply unusable ! I
thought the microphone was a speaker when I pushed the PTT ! :-)

If I understand everything well, are you trying to tell me that I have to
change the wiring between the Orion and the 706 mic ?

If so, I really needed help because I found that it's stupid to do so with a
genuine Tentec accessory that should work with the radio... I'm a little bit
lost because on the Orion manual, page 10, under the 2-4 drawing Scott says
: "...Please note that mic cables for the Tentec 705 and 706 microphones
.... are already wired in this configuration" and "Many connection cables,
..., are not and have the potential to introduce stray RF or distortion into
SSB audio".

So what ? What's the deal ? I choose the 706 mic ONLY for that reason to
avoid making mistakes by doing myself a wrong cable/connection to the Orion
!

So if there's someone to light my candle, I'll be the most happy guy on
earth :-)

As someone told me also off this reflector (again, thanks to all for your
time and patience with me !), I have to try the MFJ-931 HF artificial
ground - reading what's this device is capable of, I think it is maybe THE
solution but again, no one could be 100% sure of the effect here !

I'm pretty sure we'll find the solution one day.

One last word : I LOVE MY ORION, but I really have to face a lot of troubles
not especially with the radio itself, but also with the environmment this
radio is supposed to work in !

Best regards, Eric.