RE: [TenTec] Any issues with Corsair II --> SB-200 amp?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Any issues with Corsair II --> SB-200 amp?
From: "NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:19:31 -0800
The SB-200 does indeed have tuned inputs (only for 80/40/20/15/10 meter
bands) and will work just fine with the Corsair II (from an RF standpoint)
on these 5 bands.  The SB-200's T/R relay keys with -130v @0.051A., so that
prohibits keying it with an open collector circuit.  I can't remember if the
Corsair II also had a relay for keying external amps.  I think it does.  If
it does, then enable it and it will key the -120v just fine.

I'm sure someone here can tell us if the Corsair II has a keying relay for
the amp.  It will also be described in the user's manual if its in the rig.

If the Corsair does not have a relay for keying the external Amp, you can
obtain a "Soft Key" kit from Rich Measures  (http://www.somis.org/) - I
think it only costs a couple of dollars.  You have to make a slight
modification to the SB-200's relay to enable it to key with +130v instead of
- 130v, but that's very simple to do.  After installing this simple kit, you
can key the amp with open collector circuitry.

If you run a lot of CW, one problem you will probably run into over time is
arcing and possible burning of relay contacts on the SB-200's T/R relay.
This will happen regardless of whether you are keying with the softkey or
with the Corsair's relay (assuming it has one).

The combination switches to TR to transmit fast enough because the Corsair
adds enough delay to allow for this.  The problem is, you really need to add
some delay before the Amp's T/R relay switches back to RX.  Otherwise you
will often incur the state where the relay has begun switching back to RX
when the TX signal comes again.  It is unable to change directions fast
enough to settle in the TX position before RF is applied, and it arcs.  Not
bad the first 20 or 50 times it happens, but eventually it burns the relay
contacts enough that you incur errors.  This is typically a failure of the
relay to switch the antenna back to the transceiver in RX mode.  Easy to
recognize because you don't hear anything (or else it is very weak). In this
case, you have to clean the relay contacts with a burnishing tool.  This is
easy to do, but requires pulling the cabinet off of the amp.  How often this
is required will depend on your amount of use of the amp.  I found I was
cleaning mine every 2 or 3 months.  I finally built my own device to allow
me to adjust the relay delay and was able to eliminate this problem.  By the
way, my device also keys the -130v so you don't need the softkey.

Rich also sells a kit for replacing the open-frame relay with a vacuum
relay, but that costs a bit more. Once you have installed this mod, you can
run full QSK with the SB-200 and the Corsair II.

I also have to ask what you mean by "interface".

There are probably all kinds of boxes available on the market which I am
unaware of.

Gud luk and have fun with it.

73

Rick