RE: [TenTec] Orion Mic Woes - Sounds like RFI but Wasn't

To: tfwagner@snet.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Orion Mic Woes - Sounds like RFI but Wasn't
From: N0KHQ@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:59:35 EST

Tom Said;

Since this didn't get answered, I'll ask again.
Is it TenTec that is not  following the IEC/AES standard? No, but no other
ham radio  manufacturer is either except for Yeasu.

Bottom line, if I have a  mic with simple coax -- one center
conductor plus shield -- to which pin is  the shield to be
attached on the Orion?

End Quote.

The shield connects to the mic connector case. Not to any pin. The audio  hot
lead connects to Pin #1. And this is only if you have a later manufactured
Orion. If your Orion is one of the first built, then you would use Pin#2 for
the  shield.

So far, Yeasu, with the introduction of the FTDX-9000, is the only ham  radio
manufacturer to follow the AES Standard using an XLR mic connector.

Ham radio manufacturer changing to the AES Standard will happen when hell
freezes over.

Have a good day.

John / N0KHQ