Re: [TenTec] Centurian 422 vs Titan III

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurian 422 vs Titan III
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:27:56 -0600
As much as I like the Centurion, go for the Titan III.  Why?  The
3-500Z's put out by RF Parts and used in the Centurion just aren't as
stout as the GU-400B's used in a number of amps today.  You're right -
replacement costs are about the same (altho the GU-400B's are actually
cheaper than RF Part's 3-500Z's), but you'll replace the 500Z's more
often.  Most common failure?  Grid to cathode short.  Either way, you'll
have a good amp.

        73,  Duane

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 10:32:58 -0700 "HENRY PFIZENMAYER"
<pfizenmayer@worldnet.att.net> writes:
> Like to hear some opinions on the new Centurian versus the Titan III
> . If I
> am gonna order the Centurian , I want to do it this week.
>
> 1. 1000-1200 watts versus 1500 watts is not an issue for me .
> 2. QSK life is not an issue , I will operate "semi-breakin" with the
> amp.
> 3. Spits and arcs are a big issue.
> 4. Looks like tube replacement cost are close enough to be a toss
> up.
> 5. 99 percent of operation will be CW.
> 6. While cost is not a complete non-issue , my last amp ran for
>     25 years and I expect the same with this one, at which point
>    I won't care anymore !!!!
> 7. Have an Orion on order and expect to use the amp with Orion
>     to keep it all Tentec.
> 8. Reliability -Reliability - Reliability  is a major issue.
> 9. 160 is a must.
>
> I have read all the reviews I can find , looked at archives until
> my neck hurts and still have not reached a decision. One thing
> that continues to pop out at me is the number of Centurians
> for sale used - always wonder why - surely 1000 vs 1500 watts
> is not the issue.
>
> Any thoughts ?
>
> off line is fine to hanknospam@att.net
>
> Thanks - Hank K7HP