RE: [TenTec] IMD Measurements - Yaesu/Inrad vs Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] IMD Measurements - Yaesu/Inrad vs Orion
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:32:51 -0600
>...... for the SSB viewpoint ...
> what's the real difference amount to?  (Use of the #762
> reflects CW only)
>
> Still odd, how many posts include the word "defective" when
> describing the Orion, or one of it's related parts <in this
> case, the CW filter>.

Perhaps someone has some measurements.  But from experience on SSB , a
1.8Khz roofing filter combined with tight DSP filtering makes a difference
that you won't find at several times the price, no matter how pretty that
color display is.

The word "defective" is used by a small number of individuals with specific
complaints and an axe to grind.  I've never understood why so many spend so
much energy grumbling in a public place for a readership that can't do
anything for them, many of whom don't share their issue and can't relate to
their pain. I suppose it's the eternal quest to find others who will
validate their troubles/views/opinions.  But that's what these boards mostly
are ... the complaint bureau for people with a gripe .. Makes you wonder if
Lucy is still giving psychiatric services for 5 cents :-)  Some issues are
real, some are scapegoating the Orion.   If you can't blame anything else
it's always those "stupid design engineers".  So what do you expect when you
see a lot of posts using the "D" word? (Before you shoot the messenger, I'm
not saying their isn't a problem or two -- but I'm not willing to spend an
extra $7000 for a $2 XLR mic connector, either!).

I don't operate much CW.  Those that run CW, do ... and those that don't
(sadly, like me) collect keys .. I need to get that Begali Signature on the
air!  But I do operate digital (MixW/RigBlaster), SSB and AM.  On a bang for
the buck basis, far fewer gripes than I've had with the "stupid design
engineers" who built any other radio I've ever owned :-)  No, zero, none,
nada RF-in-the-audio problems, either, at the legal limit, with one end of
my 75M dipole about 10' from the radio room.

Grant/NQ5T