Re: [TenTec] IMD Measurements - Yaesu/Inrad vs Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] IMD Measurements - Yaesu/Inrad vs Orion
From: "Billy Cox" <aa4nu@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:03:05 -0600
Spacing         ARRL MkV        ARRL MP         RSGB MP
2 kHz           79 (+10)        71 (+2)         71 (+3)

Comparable RSGB data for Orion's 2400 Hz filter at 2 kHz spacings
is 89 dB.  RSGB did not test the optional 1800 Hz filter but
Sherwood measured 93 dB at 2 kHz.

Thanks Bill ... perhaps in a future firmware the Orion could be set for a 4 kHz bandwidth, just to see apples to apples. With the Orion's design, it's good to see it's ahead. Though adding a roofing filter sure helps the 1995 Yaesu design become better.

As to the CW comparisons, hey ... I agree with your conclusion
as to there's no way anyone's 4 khz roofing filter is going to be
as good as the 1 khz combination offered by the Orion.

Since the introduction of the FT-1000D in the late 80's, what percentage of the FT-1000/D/MP/Mkv/Field have had key clicks?
And what has the manufacturer done to correct these?

While I agree that Yaseu should have done something, let's keep in
mind that on SSB (and other modes), it's a NON-Issue. Folks like us
that do enjoy CW, like many on here, the weighting is certainly higher on this being a 'why did it go out the door like this?' type of question.

On the other hand ... folks like W8JI have provided us with solutions
that make the click issue go away ... Tom's site mentions that with the
change, the MP series now becomes one of the cleanest rigs out there.

Balance that with the posts on here, saying a 0.01 cap needs to be
added for the Orion to work properly on SSB ... or that the Orion
also clicks on CW if the menu parameters are not set correct and,
... well ... now who is the supplier who let what get out of the door?

Is this being being subjective, or objective? Perhaps some of both.

I think the Orion design is very solid, and don't think the ProIII, or the 7800, or the 9000 can in theory exceed it, but the execution of such is still not there from reading the posts of many users on here.

73 Billy AA4NU