[TenTec] Re: Decision Made

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Decision Made
From: "Gary Tuck" <garyltuck@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 20:25:35 -0000
I agree Bernard.  The only problems I’ve really had have been with 1.372.
It fixed issues in 1.371 which weren’t problems for me and introduced a few
rough spots which did bother me.  I went back to 1.371 and am happy.
Looking forward to all being fixed in 1.373.  The rig has been very stable
and I operate CW almost exclusively.  My shack is on the second floor with a
ground rod some 15 feet away.  I use wire counterpoises on the rig and the
external tuner.  The antenna is a low 80 meter loop not 25 feet away.  I’ve
not had RFI problems that I’ve noted.  When I did operate SSB with the 706
mike I had only good reports.  I’ve owned a string of Kenwood rigs—820, 830,
940 and 850.  Each had its issues as well.  My favorite, the TS-850s, was
great on CW with narrow filters but you couldn’t adjust the sidetone
externally and the NB was near useless on the noise I get here.  I ended up
getting an external DSP filter, making a external headphone interface with
an L-Pad and jimmied the controls to get the right balance between
controlling noise, spotting frequency, sidetone and headphone volume.  The
Orion does this effortlessly with outstanding NR/NB functions I think.  I’m
keeping the 850s but the Orion is a much better rig—but of course 10 years
newer.