I: [TenTec] Orion / ACOM 2000A problem solved

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: I: [TenTec] Orion / ACOM 2000A problem solved
From: "I2DMI" <i2dmi@contestvolta.it>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:56:57 +0100

Hi Rick,
I think you mean a single band (e.g. 14Mhz only) "bandpass filter" because a
wide one (1-30Mhz) doesn't solve the problem.

After a full power transmission with RX+TX on VFOA a strange ARCF event
happens when I tried to tune after I have selected the RX (I said RX not TX)
as VFOB.
It seems illogical because the ACOM was previously tuned on the TX frequency
and both displays show the correct TX frequency!
Ciao Frank I2DMI

Frank,

Several have found a work-around by placing a bandpass filter (e.g.,
Dunestar, ICE, etc.) between the Orion and the ACOM.  One guy actually used
an MFJ-914 matchbox extender.  He found by setting it for an SWR of 2:1
between the Orion and the ACOM, the Arc Fault failure ceased.

The bandpass filter is an expensive fix and doesn't permit cross-band work.
The matchbox extender would permit cross-band work.

I'm not recommending you do any of this.  I'm only relaying what some others
are doing to enable them to use their ACOMs with the ORION.

AT THE SAME TIME, MANY PEOPLE ARE NOT HAVING ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL.
(You guys in this group, consider yourselves lucky.)

The mod you refer to improves the situation considerably, but several who
have performed the mod report that they still get the ARCF problem too often
to be satisfied.

You can effectively desensitize the ARCF detection by placing a 50K Ohm
resister from base to ground of the resistor which triggers the ARCF
condition (i.e., Q13 on the 2000A) but ACOM is warning NOT to do this
because it fears the protection may not be adequate.

There are several people actively working the issue so maybe the "real" cure
will be known soon.  When it is, it will be publicized here.

73
Rick