[TenTec] Adding Binaural CW to Ten-Tec transceivers

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Adding Binaural CW to Ten-Tec transceivers
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@tomorrowsweb.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:15:48 -0800
OK, I know the Orion does this and in a more sophisticated way, but there are many of us who don't have Orions... this info is for them :)

If you like to operate CW then you might want to consider whipping together adding a Binaural CW audio filter between your rig and your headphones (speakers are possible, see comment later). I built my filter in about 4 hours, finishing it earlier this evening. I am most seriously impressed.

Here is the website where I found the basic circuit I worked from:

http://web.telia.com/!u85920178/

The design is from Harry Lythall - SM0VPO

Anyway without going into dreary details I am going through this 'headache' thing where lots of stuff trigger migraines (not pleasant) and even though I love the floating sound of shortwave sometimes punching down a whole lot of filtering to isolate a CW signal distorts the tone enough to be a rather unpleasant experience. The whole filtering down thing got me to thinking about a series of articles on Binaural CW in HR magazine many years ago. So after a bit of a Google search I came up with the notion that this was something to try. I didn't find too many actual circuits and only one very expensive add-on DSP unit providing a commercial alternative (and perhaps too much delay to make it practical for QSK)... I settled on Harry Lythall's circuit. Last night and this evening I put it together using basically Radio Shack Parts (well I had to dig a bit for the 39K resistors). The finished filter works great and I'm having a lot of fun listening to 'wide bandpass' cw.

Basic Concept: Two OP amp filters, one low pass, the other high pass, split the incoming audio out to the headphone jack where esentially everything below 700-800 hz is heard in one earphone and everything above in the other. In practice you will hear the low frequency 'noise' in one earphone and the high frequency noise clearly in the other and the cw stations you are listening to more or less spread out across the inside of your head. This separation gives our brain more to deal with in identifying a particular sound which in turn makes it easy to 'hear' it. You actually don't really need or want to use the narrowist receiver filter settings when usining this Binaural external filter. You can of course, but it sounds far better and less constrained when you don't.

Of course you can take the output of the Binaural filter into a small stereo amplifier and then into two speakers one on either side of you and experience the spacial placements this way, but headphones are easier. Now, of course you have to have stereo headphones. I use Kenwood HS-5 headphones which are normally Monaural, but I moved two wires and changed the plug and now they are stereo.

One last point. In Harry Lythall's article he mentions that with some OP-AMPS his basic circuit may suffer from 'Crossover distortion problems. He suggests if this happens to place certain value resistors between the OP-AMP stage outputs to the +12 volt supply rail. As it turned out mine was horribly distorted. With a few tests I fixed the problem entirely by placing a 10k resistor from pins 1 to +12 volts, another 10k resistor from pin 7 to +12 volts, a 560 ohm resistor from pin 8 to +12 volts and another 560 ohm resistor from pin 14 to +12 volts.

If you enjoy CW you should try this out. I am using mine with both my Paragon and my Omni=VI+. As a plus you don't hear any residual transceiver 'hum' and there are NO delays that would effect QSK.

73,
Jerald, KG6TT