[TenTec] INRAD Omni VI roofing filter kit - success

To: "TenTec List (TenTec List)" <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] INRAD Omni VI roofing filter kit - success
From: "Rick Williams" <rick.williams@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:19:51 -0800
Ken I think that you may have misunderstood where the roofing filter is in
the "food chain".  The "stock" Omni V and VI have 2-pole filters at the very
front end of the 9 MHz IF board.  These filters are 12 to 15 kHz (yes that's
kHz) wide and hard wired.  Their purpose is a first line of defence for
nearby signals.

The InRad mod goes in front of this filter and gives the operator the option
to significantly narrow the front end of the 9 MHz board.  It's location is
between the RF board and the 9 MHz board.  The mod contains a 4-pole filter
(either 600 Hz or 2400 Hz).  The NAR switch(s) are used to (a) control the
roofing filter and/or (b) the NAR filter.  The roofing filter is not located
at the end of the 9 MHz "food chain" like the NAR filters.  It is actually
at the opposite end of the 9 MHz schematic.

The roofing filter can be switched in or out so that the operator does not
lose any functions (e.g. FM or a wider 2,800 Hz IF filter) by installing the
mod.

I have installed the 2400 Hz version in my Omni V.9 and, other than a small
glitch with the cabling, found the process relatively painless.

73,

Rick
VE7TK

Website:  http://www3.telus.net/ve7tk