[TenTec] Re: TenTec Digest, Vol 26, Issue 38

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Re: TenTec Digest, Vol 26, Issue 38
From: Garyenj@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:59:06 EST

In a message dated 2/14/05 6:16:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
tentec-request@contesting.com writes:

I don't  know if the numbers would work out, but wouldn't it be fantastic if
a new  ham could get on the air with a new basic rig and antenna for  under
$500?

Sounds like my Scout!
Basic!
Great performance!
Power on, and Talk!
50 Watts! (adjustable down to QRP level.)
And last, but not least....
Great performance. Whoops.....

What I don't want in MY basic rig....
ADSP!
Computer interface!
Anything else that can break, and have to return the rig for  repair.
Plug-in filters! (I already have plug-in band modules that I can plug  in.)
Everything else mentioned that is NOT BASIC!

Bottom line is that I wanted BASIC, and TT did just that with the Scout  555.
Like my car, just turn on the key and drive! Shame TT had to give up on it,
but no worry. There are many out there with low mileage at a price that leaves
 enough left for antennas and tuner, and still be under the $500 tag.
Sorry guys, all my VHF and UHF is Icom. Test drove the 718, Scout wins  hands
down.
"73
Gary KF2KO