Re: [TenTec] New Rig Suggestion

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Rig Suggestion
From: "NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:07:36 -0800
Actually I think we set the artificial entry-level price too low.

$500 is a lovely target, but let's face it, now days people spend more than
that on many other hobbies.  People drive sports cars, ride fast motorbikes,
buy expensive cameras, etc.  And even a decent computer with decent monitor
will run much more than $500.

It seems to me the realistic entry level target (for new) ought to be more
like $1000.

If your target is constrained to $500, then I believe the goal can only be
met with used gear, and unless the buyer is technically quite fit, it is
probably better to purchase from a dealer rather than from an unknown
source, be it online or at a ham fest.  Another option is to purchase from a
member of a local club who personally states the rig is in good order and
the guy is "there" in case it isn't.

Buying a Ten-Tec is a safe bet if you want to keep your rig for the long
term, but it doesn't help much in meeting that $500 goal.  If it turns out
the $400 rig has to be sent in for repair, then the goal will be blown.  I
think buying from a safe source is a better criterion.

My 2 cents worth.

73
Rick